Monday, March 15, 2010

CMP Practice.

Standing

I actually managed to find a clear, warm day to go practice last week. The wind was calm; the sun was bright; the temperature perfect. I started with Standing practice. The good news is I can call my shots. It was nice to see the holes appear where I thought they would. I only got off 15 rounds during the shooting period, but they were mostly 8s, 9s, and 10s. The first shots seemed to be the best. As I shot, I was getting fatigued, and it was harder to settle the rifle. I guess I better get a little more exercise.




Sitting

Next came rapid sitting. It took me awhile to find a good position. If the I had a good head position on the stock, the rifle was pointed at the ground. If the rifle was pointed at the target, I couldn't get my head on the rifle, or my eyeball was in front of the rear sight. I finally got a good crossed ankle position, and shot a pretty good group (96-3x). Part of the solution was choking up on the front stock to bring the sights up to the target. I got a 1" stock spacer coming from Midway which should help get the rear sight away from my eye. I'm also getting a Ron Brown sling from Creedmoor, which I hope will help keep the sling in place.




Prone

I didn't really have the heart (or daylight) to shoot a slow prone string. I just didn't feel like messing with my sling again. The damn thing always works its way down my arm as I reach for single rounds. Therefore, I decided to shoot "Rattle Battle."


I shot my own 100yd version of Rattle Battle, with a 600yd target reduced for 100yds. The official stage is as many rounds as you can shoot in 50 seconds. I only had one loaded magazine, so I just shot that about as fast as I could. I'm pretty sure I was under 30 seconds. So, shooting 30 rounds in 30 seconds, I got 28 hits on a target that's a little over 3-inches wide at 100 yards. Not bad.

No comments: